August 9, 2011

It's NOT a Knife Rest!

I was at the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen's Fair on Sunday. I came across this fantastic Potter with out of this world pieces. Plain unglazed porcelain with surface patterning that grabed me. No, I hadn't taken my camera, silly me..... What I really wanted, I couldn't afford right now, but tucked away in the back of her booth was a small display of Knife Rests. I picked one up and then picked all of them up for a closer look.







Holes.... they all had holes through the center! She was wrong when she said she didn't make beads. All of those knife rests had holes and were really beads.





.
.
.
The one that I brought home is just 2 1/2" long and weighs about 1/3 of what a lampwork bead of the same size would. I'm not exactly sure how I will use it, but use it I will; somewhere, someday.

Lulu's studio is only about 12 miles from my house and I think I need to go down and see her after the Fair is over. She mentioned that she also tended to collect all sorts of organic oddments. I'd love to talk her into making a series of cabochons for bead embroidery.

The Bead Society of New Hampshire had a demonstration booth at the Fair over the weekend. We had great fun showing off beadwork and talking to people. Many of the visitors did not know that there was a Bead Society in Central NH.


Rickey , Jo & Gail at the BSNH tables

After a morning of booth sitting, I had time to wander the Fair. It's the oldest continuous running fair in the US. It gave me a chance to catch up with favorite artists, visit with friends, and look at a lot of beautiful work.





As I was leaving, I ran into this tiny fair visitor. I need to go find out what kind of butterfly it is.




2 comments:

  1. I hope I can make it to the fair, I've never been as of yet. Oh and the butterfly is a Black Swallowtail-
    Papilio polyxenes Fabricius

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    I can't wait to see the crochet rope that goes with that bead!

    It's an amazing piece. So organic looking. I find myself trying to imagine the creature that it's a bone from.

    ReplyDelete