February 11, 2011

Tucson 2011 - Day 5 - last day

I always treat myself for the last day trip to the shows. I plain like rocks; big ones, small ones, fancy minerals, and faceted gemstones. The shows that line the frontage road along I10 are a bit seedier than the big tented wholesale shows. That plus the conglomeration of cultures, languages and rock specimens makes them fascinating.




.
.
.
.

.
.
.
The copper specimens have always been some of my favorites. Just imagine that the color from one copper penny could paint the whole world blue-green.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Then there are the beautifully cut stones. I love the big ones. It's a good thing I live in small houses or I'd have at least one huge ball.... that is if I could figure out how to afford one.

.
.
.
.
.
.
And there are the characters on the sidewalk and in the parking lots. This was a California juice bar, tenanted with long haired, tie dyed, beaded, old refugees from the 60's. Sorta like me.


.
.
.
.
No matter what your interest might be, if it was a rock, you could find it here.
.
Big dirty pieces just out of the ground
Slices and rough on the tables and in bins of water
Beautiful specimens nestled in cotton or paper
Carved objects in boxes or on pedestals
.
.
.
.

I got a huge kick out of several tables full of animal carvings all line up in their boxes - looking at me as if to say, "take me home with you."



I did lots of dusty walking and poking around with the sun warm on my shoulders. It was a great end to my Gem Show wanderings. Now the last of the vendors are packing up and Tucson will go back to it's quiet drowsing in the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh.... and I arrive tomorrow to soak up some of that quiet peace. (and warmth hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete