January 25, 2011

AZ wild life!

This has been an interesting Arizona winter so far. I'm beginning to think I live on some sort of game reserve. I actually live within the City limits of Tombstone, not out in the unfenced range.

My large Nopal cactus is getting very raggedy with both the cows and mule deer chewing on it - almost nightly.


I've had to really limit what I put out for the birds. The mule deer had gotten used to making a pass through the yard to see if there was anything good to eat. They knock the bird feeder over and chew on anything green. I go out and yell at them and they sort of look back as if to say, "what?" One evening I was cleaning up, looked up and the big buck was nose to my kitchen window. Sort of startled me!

Then there have been the cows.... We almost back up to BLM land and open range. There is a fence between them an the town streets. It took several weeks for the police & the rancher to figure out where they were getting out. They would amble down the street, chewing on anything that stuck out within reach. The police would heard them back and an hour later they were right back. Nice landscape plants were more attractive than range plants.

It's sort of unsettling to be half asleep only to be woken by loud mooooing right outside of your bedroom window.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The rabbits have been too quick to get a picture of them, but we've had both cotton tails and jack rabbits come through the yard. The jacks are all ears and legs. They are big enough to stretch up and eat the cactus along with the cows and deer.

.
.
.
.
.

I've always fed the quail as I love watching them. They are so like a large flock of chickens, scratching and talking to themselves.
.
.
.
.
.
.
We have an occasional road runner come through. They don't stop, but just move on by.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
We get a kick out of watching a large flock of buzzards that comes back every spring. They are so graceful in the air and so clumsy on the ground and when they go to roost at night. They hang out in a large pine tree just a block away.
.
.
.
Some days I wonder if we're feeding more bees than hummingbirds.











There are days when all of the birds just seem to disappear. That's when you look up and see a hawk sitting on one of the telephone poles. They are regal birds to watch. However yesterday got a bit exciting. I had the back door open and was working just off of the hallway. The next thing I know, there is a flurry of feathers, noise and bird squawks in the hall. The hawk was after a dove for dinner and as near as I can tell, the dove dove for the open door to get away. Didn't happen and I had enough feathers in the hall to make a large pillow.
.
.
City living? Somehow I'm beginning to wonder......

No comments:

Post a Comment