May 2, 2010

Arizona Time Warp

Gleeson AZ is a ghost town now, but in it's heyday it was a thriving mining town. My sister, Tina had an opportunity to buy the old jail and has since restored it and turned it into a historical & educational facility.





(Tina on the right)


This Jail was the third one built and was officially put into service on April 30, 1910. Saturday, May 1, 2010 she held a 100th birthday party for it. If it hadn't been for the cars in the background I could have believed I was back in 1910.





The AZ Rangers raised the flag - note that it's a 1910 flag! A time capsule will be buried (encased in cement) on May 10th. This allows anyone with connections to Gleeson to add material to it.


.
.

.

.

.














What year did you say this was?









Can you imagine wearing this many clothes today?








Characters showed up and "played" their parts effortlessly.



And oh, the food . . . . it was pot-luck and all of it home made from traditional burritos, green chile chile, pisole, berry pies and on down 5 very loaded tables. I sat there, ate too much, complained about the wind and listened to the live western guitar music. Close my eyes and it wasn't 2010 anymore.
It was a delightful Saturday outing and the best was getting to spend time with my Niece, Nephew and grand-nephews, whom I don't get to see often enough.

My Niece's comment was, "OK, so my Mom got to dress me one more time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment