August 14, 2009

Memory - it's lanyard!

Oh, to have the memory of a 7 yr old again ..... kids don't seem to forget anything. Especially if you tell them you will do something.

I woke up this morning with the right word for my paper lariats this morning. The word I should have been using is lanyard!

"Lanyard can also refer to Scoubidou, ( also called Gimp, Scoubi, Scoobie, Boondoggle, or Lanyard). It is a plaiting and knotting craft, originally aimed at children, which originated in France, where it became a fad in the late 1950s. Scoubidou-making is a popular pastime at summer camps for children, often employed to keep the children busy and occupied for hours."
(source: Wikipedia)

Yep... it was Girl Scout Camp and I was easily amused for hours in 1957 or 1958. I guess I'm making the square knot with my paper.

1 comment:

  1. Yep...I'm also very fond of the paracord variant, a lot of good memories with them around.

    Thanks for sharing a piece of your childhood with us!

    ReplyDelete